These simple tips have helped many of our clients make the changes that make the difference.
Improve Your Listening Skills
- Slow down; think before you respond.
- Set a time for a conversation; bring your full attention to the speaker.
- Use a 2:1 ratio; listen twice as long as you speak.
- Ask appropriate questions.
Ask More-Productive Questions
Phrase your questions in ways that gain insight:
- What factors were taken into consideration?
- Tell me about the alternatives you developed.
Avoid judgmental questions, such as:
- Why did you do that?
- What were you thinking?
Instead ask questions like these:
- Tell me about how you came to your decision.
- What would you do differently now?
Understand What Motivates Your Team
- Schedule informal meetings, preferably out of the office, to get to know each team member.
- Ask what success looks like to them.
- Ask to be told the story of when they have felt successful.
- Ask how you can help make them be successful again.
Build In Time
- Make and keep an appointment with yourself for one hour every week to plan, reflect and assess.
- Set one or two small goals and track progress over a two-month period. Repeat.